This is one of the best recipes I have. This is so health and delicious it feels like cheating!
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Lightly grease a 6"x9" baking dish and set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the crushed tomatoes, oil and vinegar. Stir in the garlic, basil, herbs de Provence, salt, pepper, and chili powder.
4. Pour the tomato mixture into the prepared baking dish and smooth it into an even layer on the bottom of the pan.
5. Stack the veggie slices in alternating patters (e.g.: onion, zucchini, eggplant, tomato; repeat) and place them on their side in the pan, leaning against the edge of the pan.
6. Repeat until you've formed a couple of rows of veggies, filled the pan, and used up all of the veggie slices.
7. Optionally, spray or brush the exposed tops of the veggies with oil to encourage browning in the oven. This is more for appearance, so feel free to skip this step if you want.
8. Bake for about an hour, until the tomato sauce at the bottom is bubbling and the veggies are tender.
9. Top with cheeses and continue cooking until cheese is melted.
10. Garnish with additional chopped fresh basil before serving (optional). Serve hot or cold.
- The vegetables, including the crushed tomatoes, take center stage in this dish and there is relatively little in the ingredient list to season them, so flavor is very important. Try to get the absolute best quality vegetables you can. It really is worth the splurge, and will take this dish from good to great.
- Some people have cautioned that Herbs de Provence contains a little bit of Lavender, so if you are especially sensitive to that flavor, replace the herbs de Provence with a heaping 1/4 teaspoon each: dried or fresh rosemary, oregano and thyme.
- This may seem like a lot but is really enough for 2-3 people. If you're feeding a family or a crowd, double the recipe and bake it in a 9"x12" pan.
- To make it heartier, you can add vegan or dairy cheese on top, and/or serve over quinoa, mashed sweet or white potatoes, rice, or your grain of choice.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Or, if you'd like to make this ahead for a future dinner, cool it completely and transfer it to an airtight container. It will keep in the freezer for up to three months. To prepare, bring to room temperature (just leave it in the fridge for a day or two) and then microwave until heated through.